Monday, September 16, 2019

New Course this Fall! Trauma-Informed Care: An Introduction For Libraries

As long-time readers may recall, I've been interested in and studying topics related to trauma since I first learned about the Adverse Childhood Experiences study in 2013.  I've written a lot related to trauma since, and to be quite honest my research has transformed the way I approach my work, as well as my relationships to other people and the world in general. In April 2018, I was chosen by Trauma-Informed Oregon to be trained as a community trainer, and have developed and delivered library-specific training to local library staff, which has been well-received.



So I'm so pleased to announce that I will be running the course:
Trauma-Informed Care: An Introduction for Libraries through UW-SLIS Continuing Education, November 4-December 15, 2019! Register before October 20 for a 10% discount!

Like my past, well-reviewed courses, this course is designed to have an extremely reasonable workload and will be a mix of reflection, action, and tips you can use right away. The class is asynchronous, which means we won't be meeting live and you can engage with each week's content when you can. Each week there will be one or two discussion questions. There will be final project that will consist of anything that will help you going forward (a presentation to your board, a letter to your director, a blue print, something else? It's up to you!).

As always with my courses, you're welcome to download all the material to share among others in your library, so I hope you will see this as a good investment.

I've said on Twitter previously that preparing for this course has made my Disability Community in the Library course feel like Sunday brunch. Like that course, Trauma-Informed Care: An Introduction for Libraries is steeped in my lived experience and so may be different from other training you may have gotten about these concepts.

Here's some of the topics we'll cover:



-What “trauma-informed” means in a library context
-Toxic stress and the brain, and what that means for our work interactions 
-Applying trauma-informed principles to library work
-The importance of workforce wellness in a Trauma-Informed approach
-An introduction to the concepts of historical trauma and institutional oppression, and how that is related to trauma-informed care 

You'll also get a candid look at the effects of trauma:
-my personal experiences with this content, including what a stress response feels like
-some behavioral tips in my personal toolkit to keep calm and present in stressful situations
-examining willfulness and buffering against burnout
...and more!

This course won't be fun, but hopefully it will be eye-opening and worth it for you.

Questions? Need some more information to justify it to your manager or director? Feel free to email me at brycekozla at gmail.

Hope you'll join me November 4-December 15! Register by October 20 for a 10% discount.


2 comments:

  1. Hey! My name is Kate, I'm a jail librarian in Denver. We'd love to contact you about your course on trauma-informed librarianship! How can we get in touch??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Feel free to email me at brycekozla at gmail!

      Delete