Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Top 5 Places to Hide and Cry at Your Library During Summer Reading (plus bonus links)

You didn't think I could make it through the entire summer just letting other people motivate everyone at WCCLS, did you? Well, I still kinda am. Back before the promised flurry of SRP was punched in the gut by mass shootings and overt injustices, I made a little *attempting to be funny* video about crying in the library.

Rachel and Phoebe from F.R.I.E.N.D.S. share a comforting hug.
It's first-take and there's no title cards or props or anything. I always intended to redo it, but I'm unsure I could bring the same levity to this video now:






Watch it on youtube for some bonus cheer-up links in the description!

Some other links I'm found recently that might help you through the next few weeks:

If you sometimes hear people in power talking about self-care and all you can do is roll your eyes, here's some much-needed validation for you.

If you need a quick checklist of things to make you feel productive when you really feel terrible, here's one from Tumblr user Eponis.

If you need a more in-depth look at small things you can do to keep you from burning out, here's an interactive guide literally called, "You Feel Like Shit."

Lately I've been using a journal on my phone that can help track your moods and I swear it actually is helping. There are a few out there, but I use this one. 


Last but not least, this past week I was lucky to attend a training for supervisors. It was really good, and the following video in particular stood out to me. No one dreams, when they're little, of being unproductive, unheard, or undervalued when they grow up. What can we do today to make sure our peers, colleagues, and employees don't feel that way?


When I Grow Up - Work Version from Kevin Jones on Vimeo.

Update: OH DUDE, everyone. For more commiseration you MUST check out these two recent posts:
Abby the Librarian: "On Feeling Overwhelmed, Part III"
Reading with Red: "Top 5 Reasons I Haven't Been Blogging"

No comments:

Post a Comment