Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Childn00B Programming


Okay, so the title's pushing it since there's no clever way to incorporate my #n00brarian status. Or there is, but my sad trombone wittiness has been beaten out of me by a horde of children whose only weakness was Spiderman books (but at least they had one!). It's the calm after the storm now that my Spidey sense for misbehaving children has been deactivated (or, maybe it's more of a release valve. It slowly hisses out).

I constantly think of stuff to do at the library. Like, when I'm in the shower, in the middle of the night, watching a horror movie (not all at the same time). But, being new, I did have a fear of planning something that doesn't sound good. Not for fear it would fail, but the fear of something like this:

My hair looks better after I'm publicly chastised. It's in the facts. See diagram.
So, you know, I was kind of slow to come up with any ideas for the Spring. Which was kind of even worse, because: what kind of librarian do I think I am? 
Well, I'm not sure how fully I can actually answer that question. The following is a list of programs I came up with. Look forward to January through April as to whether I succeed or fail; or to put it in a more positive light: the extent to which I fail and what I can learn from it to make my programs better in the future (yup, when you're from the Michigan State College of Education, that's actually the most positive outlook). Anyway, I'm sure it will be at the very least entertaining, and at the very most mildly entertaining, but you're welcome to join me as I try to implement:

 Blurb: "What do spies, Egypt, oceans, and wizards all have in common? They all are a part of the Ology World! Join us to explore a new Ology book each week.  How do you make a good secret code? Is there such a thing as a giant octopus? What really IS a mummy? Take some time after school to learn about the stuff you REALLY want to know! Ages 6+"
--There's this family that comes in all the time; one child always asks for books on Justin Bieber; another always asks for books about spies. I knew I wanted to do something with spies, but it didn't come to fruition until I was reminded of the Ology series. Now, the Ology series is technically in the Non-Fiction section(as one of the shelvers pointed out, "I cannot morally shelve this in Non-Fiction, because there is no such thing as a practical guide to do anything with dragons." To which I replied, "there is no morality in Non-Fiction"...but now I realize I missed the joke, "except for the 200s". That slip up will haunt me for the rest of my days.) and therefore not "my" collection, but school age kids eat them up so I figured I give it a shot.

“I Hate Mondays!” Garfield Party – No School Special
 Blurb: "Celebrate a no-school day with everyone’s favorite lasagna-eating feline!  Spend some time online playing games, busting your brains, and making your own comics with Professor Garfield. We’ll round out the afternoon with a Garfield drawing contest! Ages 8+"
--Kids never have programs in the gaming room, but I wanted to introduce them to Professor Garfield without bribing them ("15 min extra if you use that site!"). Our Garfield books are always checked out. So yeah. no brainer. Hopefullypeoplecome

Action! Bringing Books to Life – No-School Special
Blurb: "Movie trailers make you want to see movies. Book trailers make you want to read books! Watch a few great book trailers advertising some awesome new books at the library… Then, make your own book trailer! It’s easy and fun, and you can upload your video to LPLyouth’s Youtube channel!  A great way to spend a no-school afternoon. Ages 8+"
--I've wanted to do this type of program since I discovered book trailers existed. Especially since I saw this book trailer. I had absolutely no interest in reading it until I saw it, then it ended up on my List of the Year. Space is limited to about 10 kids and I can plan this with more of an instructional vibe, so it's actually the one I'm looking most forward to planning.


“The Impossible Day” Leap Year Party
 Blurb: "Just like Platform 9 ¾ to Hogwarts, February 29th will arrive in 2012 then disappear again for four whole years!  Lots of impossible things can happen. Celebrate with magic tricks, science experiments—things that make you go “Huh?! Cool!” Leave with some how-to books to party with the impossible at home! For children ages 5 +"
--From the get-go, when I was charged with planning a Leap Year Party, I had this idea in my head that Leap Day was the Day That Doesn't Exist. You can try anything, and it's the day that everyone is invincible, because that day isn't even there. I decided this might be too existential for an elementary school party and settled on trying to create a whole program for kids that will make them do the "whhooaaa" in unison that school assemblies aspire to. I have to do it without lasers. Or dry ice. Oh crap. Okay, well at least they'll have some fun.

I'm also toying with the idea of a Judy Moody Not Bummer Un-Summer Party, and a Magic Pickle party.

...This is my job. I do this for a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment